Sunday, December 02, 2007

One Man's Work is His Salvation

 
True to my gypsy blood, I had been remarking to Patrick the past few weeks that E was 'jonesin'" for a little getaway out in nature. I truly develop wanderlust when I haven't traveled or seen something new for a couple months. Thus, we planned a little road trip over Thanksgiving weekend.

After a lovely Turkey Day at my sister, Sara's house - where Patrick painfully ate too much and told me that I should load up on the fat as well since it was going to be cold where we were gong - P and I woke up at 4am the next morning and set off east towards Arizona.

We had been there before, but P wanted to take pictures again with his new camera and lens at the Salton Sea before heading farther east. What P didn't tell me was that we were making a nearby stop first to the town of Niland to see "Salvation Mountain". I had never heard of it before and curiously kept asking questions as we drove out past the nothingness of the tiny, dusty town looking for it - finally stopping to ask for directions. P mischievously assured me I would like it and that I would know it the minute I saw it.

Well, not minutes later did I gasp at suddenly glimpsing an extremely colorful, if large HILL, (not mountain) off the dirt road against a barren backdrop of desert, dusty nothingness.

True to Patrick's words, I knew we had arrived the moment I saw it. "Extraordinary!" I breathed happily as we parked our car while an older gent in denim shirt and jeans greeted us.
 
I had no idea what to expect and was so pleasantly surprised that the man, named Leonard Knight, welcomed us so graciously and told us he'd love to give us a tour. And so he did. We found out that 24 years ago he came out to the desert from Virginia to build a hot air balloon. It rotted in the sun and instead he found himself mixing the natural adobe clay of the hillside with straw that that could be painted upon when dry. 100,000 gallons of mostly donated paint and 24 years later stands "Salvation Mountain" or "God Mountain".

Complete with colorful 'flowers', an igloo, a yellow brick road, and 'waterfalls' this gentle man used art and nature - everything besides the paint and straw he finds growing or abandoned in the desert - to spread the message of God's Love..

Prayers, biblical verses, and religious phrases were painted everywhere. With a quiet but joyous pride he showed us everything and told us (in a gentle humble manner) how they came out to film from National Geographic and how he has been honored by a couple art museums.
 


A lean, but hardy man, Mr. Knight hobbled about slowly showing us everything, pointing out his favorite things and explaining how his 'museum' was made.

The day before had been Thanksgiving and he said he had had roughly 150 visitors - compared to the normal daily 80 or so (!). Schools, churches, and photographers, alike, evidently come to this spot to see his creative and happy work. It was just an amazing project for one man to have done alone and left us feeling so good and warm inside.

Even though it wouldn't have bothered me one bit, he wasn't preachy at all, nor did he even ask if we believed in God. He was just a simple but lovely older man who loved that people came to see his work and you can find him there every single day giving tours or slowly painting and mixing adobe with straw.

After giving him a cash donation, he graciously handed us a short 10 minute DVD he even had professionally made of the Mountain, a few postcards and even a jigsaw puzzle of the place. He might be a simple, kind man, but he was a great promoter of his art!

What a truly lovely man - living off nothing and happy in sharing God's love with all that visit him. A true inspiration :) A great start off to our long weekend...

Click on slideshow below for some more of Jesus' Love!
"Salvation Mountain"

No comments: