Sunday, December 03, 2006

Hola Oahu

From oahu06

Back in July, I was invited by Patrick to join him a few days in Oahu, Hawai’i. He was there working 2 weeks on a top-secret (sounds good, anyway) naval project for Uncle Sam.
It was my first trip to Oahu and I had plenty of time to explore and window shop at my leisure due to P’s working every day. I had only been to the island of Maui before and Oahu was quite different. It has horrible traffic for one. I couldn’t believe it. It also had amazing shopping (if that was important to me) – and plenty of Japanese tourists enjoying it. It also has a busy nightlife with many bars with very weak drinks – even for this lightweight. I did enjoy myself, but I much prefer the quiet Nature (even non-existent nightlife) of Maui.

That said, it was a lovely time especially heightened by the sense of excitement and romance of a new couple on their first trip together! By day I exercised and wandered around and then waited for Patrick’s return - he was so handsome in his uniform! (I NEVER thought I'd be in love with a man in uniform, huh - Di??) By night, we’d dine on his per diem, walk around, enjoy our weak adult beverages and sometimes meet up for pool with his comrades.

Highlights of our trip included my getting to see my college friend and roommate, Heather – whose husband, Noel, is a lawyer in the marines stationed there. Also, enjoyable was driving and getting lost on the island –with occasional sudden stops alongside the road when P or I saw a photo opportunity. I remember thinking to myself how lucky I was that my still relatively new boyfriend had a photographer’s eye and appreciation for nature. It’s almost a requisite for me!

Other highlights included our visiting the quiet sunken dignity of the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor and the proud, historic battleship, the USS Missouri. Strangely enough for a gal from the naval town of San Diego – I truly don’t know much about the military life since none of my huge extended family, save 1 uncle, was involved. That said, it was fascinating hearing Patrick recount stories of his world tour at 19 when he joined the Navy to get out of Northern Ireland. He’d also explain to me the functions of the ship as I followed him all around: in and out, up and down. My favorite was the sleeping quarters where he half-laughed, half-groaned pointing out the 3 tiny bunkbeds one on top of each other where one would sleep according to rank. There was no way my claustrophobic self could stand it aboard weeks and months at a time and it made me appreciate even more the sacrifices of basic comforts these young people make while serving our country.

Lastly, worth mentioning: seeing Patrick surf for the first time and his gifting me (I am sure I was the last one on the planet) my first digital camera – I am a stubborn, old-fashioned gal who has traveled the world with my regular, FILM camera. That said, it IS making my life easier for this blog, ain’t that the truth??!!
click on photo album & slideshow for more pics - "Mahalo" :)

No comments: