Wednesday, January 07, 2009

L'Orchestra di Piazza Vittorio

ahhhh - I just watched one of my new favorite foreign films from Italy, "L'Orchestra di Piazza Vittorio." I am on a high right now, feeling the music of this Roman Orchestra made up immigrants from Tunisia, India, Romania, Egypt, Hungary, Cuba, Argentina, Ecuador, Senegal, North America..to name a few...

The film is a low budget, perfect documentary shot over a couple years in Rome when the founder, former Italian pop musician Mario Tronca was the brainchild and leader in finding immigrant professional musicians as a challenge to the post 9/11 government and it's sudden, radical anti-immigration laws and protests. Overcoming financial, language and ego boundaries it is just an amazing story and if you are a world music lover, a musician, or just love people uniting (something that happens much more in the Arts than anywhere) then this movies is a must-see! By the time they put on their first concert in November of 2002, (with only 1 week of group rehearsals) I am willing to bet you will be so happy and amazed at their success - I was literally clapping and dancing on the couch with Fred-the-Basset at the gorgeous and lively music. The story is just amazing and inspiring - - not only were they able to track down topnotch musicians barely surviving in Rome working in kitchens, etc. but to write an orchestral score including all those different kinds of world instruments is a feat in itself. The collaboration is something to put the UN to shame.

I am ill that only a few short weeks ago my friend Heidi invited me to a performance of them (they now have 2 CDs out and are touring the USA in conjunction with the film) - - neither of us could make it at the time and I deeply regret experiencing that ... That said: the film is in my heart and their multi-cultural plethora of music will soon be purchased and supported by me! :) Simply wonderful stuff...

No comments: