Monday, April 21, 2008

Keeping it Quiet with my homegirl...

I just read how American Idol young winner Jordin Sparks is also on vocal rest - coinciding with my own. Tragically, I suffer from vocal nodes - essentially they are blisters on your vocal chords = and are the worst thing possible to happen to a singer. I got mine when living out of suitcase for the Selena Forever Broadway national tour back in 2000 and overusing my voice.

Lately, I have been working so much (doing jobs that require tons of speaking and loudly) and also having killer rehearsals for our upcoming shows with the Symphony so that the blisters have enflamed and I am unable to speak. Today, I had to take the day off and have not said a peep. All I can do is not say a word for as long as possible and sleep a lot to help the blisters go down (they don't disappear without surgery). Such is the life of a superstar.... eh, young Jordin??



Jordin Sparks' vocal injury career-threatening?

April 21, 2008, 12:30 PM EST
The Associated Press

Vocal problems have forced Jordin Sparks to temporarily withdraw from Alicia Keys' tour and cancel all performances for the rest of the month, a representative for the "American Idol" champ said Monday.

The New York Post is reporting that Sparks' injury could be career-threatening. According to the paper's Web site, Sparks is suffering from "an acute vocal cord hemorrhage."

"All of her April activities have been postponed or canceled so she can take care of her voice properly," 19/Jive Records spokeswoman Wendy Washington told The Associated Press.

Contrary to the New York Post report, Washington said Sparks is expected to recover in order to rejoin Keys' tour in May.

No comments: