Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Death Valley Dunes - Finale

 
Alas, by this point in the late afternoon P and I were quite dusty and physically tiring - not to mention hot. We had hit almost everything that there was to see in Death Valley and I was starting to feel slight heat stroke - even though we were consistently drinking something.

Next to last on our list of sights to see was my favorite of the day - the sand dunes. I have never walked on sand dunes before. But in my imagination as a child I had galloped astride the great literary horse: The Black Stallion by author Walter Farley across his native Arabian sand dunes many a time. I have a love affair with sand dunes due to that horse and those books. So to be here - after the several different terrains we had already traversed that day - and walk upon a sea of mounds of sand with Nature's print on each one in the form of rippling waves caused by the wind - - hot dog! - I can't even explain how beautiful and special that was to me!!
 

It was so gorgeous that I didn't even want to ruin it by adding any more human tracks so I followed P slowly at a distance stepping carefully in his footprints. Then at one point he set up to take pictures and I wandered to the top of a dune and sat down, clutching my knees to my chin and was happy as a clam just taking it all in.
 

Unfortunately, our time there was cut shorter than I would have preferred as we then had a race against time as we rushed in the car a half hour away to the best location to take pictures of the sunset in Death Valley. As it was, we were about 5 minutes too late. About 30 photographers were making their way down the hill of Zabrieski Point as we were panting our way up it. Patrick lamented our cutting it so close but continued to snap away for another 20 minutes - and do you know what? Even with the light not quite what it could have been if we had arrived earlier - - he still managed to get a couple amazing shots on his real photographic equipment. I mean, mine above is pretty good. Wait until you see his:)

Alas, mine will have to suffice for now - click below and enjoy the last of our wonderful trip to Death Valley!
Death Valley - Finale

No comments: