Monday, August 04, 2008

Comic Con 2008

 
Okay, I know I am incredibly back-blogged but I AM finally getting out my Comic Con blog. It did take me a couple days to recap from working the sun and humidity of it - this year, I was outdoors, unlike other years when I worked inside at the booths. That said, I had great friends and company working the circus-like atmosphere that was continuous on the outside of the SD Convention Center throughout the 4-day weekend.
 
I worked all day long for 2 different companies and jobs - G4TV and for Midway and their highly-anticipated video game of Mortal Kombat vc. DC Universe - essentially they are combining a fight-game with Sub-Zero, Mortal Kombat character against Batman and other DC Universe Comic book characters. (Evidently, it is an insane idea to bring the 2 together and people were crazily commenting that, "Batman can be killed???!!!NOOOOOO!!" And just to plug it a little bit more since they paid me so handsomely: the game comes out November 17 and will be for the PlayStation3 and XBox360 game consuls, thank you very much.


 
I am not a comic book reader although I respect it tremendously for it's artistic drawings, and cliff-hanging story lines that bring readers back for more year after year, decade after decade, even. That said, the Comic Con has evolved so much more than just comics. It is a Hollywood event now (shoot - even Paris Hilton attended - ugh!) with casts, producers, writers and directors of movies and TV shows attending and giving sneak peaks and Q&A's to the fans. Thank God, I don't lose it around celebs and working actors hehehe - - but I sure wouldn't have minded meeting Lee Pace from the fabulous and quirky TV show, "Pushing Daisies"...
 
Of course the best thing about Comic Con (for me, anyway) is people-watching and seeing all the costumes. At this point, folks in their 40s who grew up like my family worshipping Star Wars, Transformers, Star Trek and Battlestar Gallatica are now parents themselves and are introducing all the fabulous OG (original) SciFi characters to their kids. To see 2 generations all dressed up was awesome - although I know the parents enjoy it even more than their over-stimulated, tired children.

Yup storm troopers, Bobo Fett the Bounty Hunter from Star Wars, and "V" (from the movie of the same name) masks were probably the most repeated costume I saw. Then you have the cute, petite Asian girls in their sexy schoolgirl animae costumes. It is simply so much fun to see that for one 4-day weekend, geeks and nerds, especially can just enjoy it and dress up and discuss and schmooze to their hearts' delight!

And, yes, of course - my Trekkie nerd, 42-old-brother Gabe attended, once again, and for the 2nd year in a row breaking in our nephews to the glories of sci fi imagination and creativity :) Bravo!
Click on pic below for slideshow!
Comic Con 2008

No comments: