Thursday, October 01, 2009

Ireland Summer 2009

Yes, I am back-logged - - or shall I say 'back-blogged' on here. We've been having technical difficulties at home and very busy so I am barely getting up my Ireland 2009 pics (and more) on here!

Ireland this year was vastly different than my first trip there in May of 2007. This time around, we had P's daughter Ciara with us which kept us home-bound a lot more than our last trip (see previous blogs by scrolling through year 2007). Also, the 2 biggest reasons for this trip was 1). to visit and spend time with Patrick's aging 84 year-old mum and 2) to have a small Catholic Wedding blessing ceremony there that his parents could partake in as Patrick's mom won't be able to travel to the USA for our bigger ceremony later this year. Of course it was the wettest summer in decades. So wet that Patrick's folks commented that even Father (the priest) was in a grumpy and blue mood due to all the rain.

Finally, I had sprained my back badly the week before at work and was in intense pain - the flight over almost killed me sitting cramped up for hours. So, I was the entire time doped up on muscle relaxers and painkillers - not that it stopped me from doing any activity when possible(!)

Thus we spent the majority of time at their beautiful home in Warrenpoint, shooting photography and taking long, long serene walks around town, through P's old neighborhoods and where he road his Arabian pony. I loved the stories as I am an avid story-listener as much as a story-teller myself :)
Ciara had more of a blast than any of us. She goes every year there and is a superstar of sorts, being from America. She commented to me, "it's the few times she is really the coolest kid there" - as the children are enamoured of her accent, clothes, her dancing, etc etc. Also, it is relatively safe there so she can just go out and play in the park and walk into the town for an ice cream with the kids until dark - sadly, she can't do that here in San Diego. It's wonderful to see her enjoy her freedom and independence there.

Lastly I wish to point out for my family that it was hard not having them present for the Catholic Blessing - - although I am very grateful to have done it there for P's mother. She held my hand through the prayers and I felt (of COURSE) the tears of happiness and gratefulness welling up in my big eyes and then plop! fall down onto my silk skirt. After all was done she waved my hand in hers, scolding me in her brogue, "You're a big Softie, Elsa -- that's what you are!"

Click below on the slideshow for more!
Ireland09

No comments: