Tuesday, November 03, 2009

The Pain, er Beauty of new Headshots


I am a professional, union Actress.

I have worked professionally mostly in theater and commercials, with a bit of indie film and TV work.

The last 4 years I have concentrated more on modeling and my classical singing but I am excited to be pursuing more acting work again - read: E got married and wants to buy her man a Canon 5D Mark II Digital or a new Leica Camera. And, heck, I may even get myself an Arabian horse :)

I lived in LA 10 years ago and wow, how much I've grown up since then. I was so green, and I am not just meaning that I went up there as a non-union performer. I was naive in many things about life. I am excited and thankful to my new husband who is supporting my giving it another go up there. I've always known and said that dating an artist-type can be very difficult. Now I'm married to a man who knows zero of the Industry - - but I almost feel that is in our favor.

I realized I needed new headshots. My last ones are about 5 or 6 years old and in black and white - - - oh ho ho, Hollywood does it in color now.

So, a couple weeks ago I went to shoot at www.armenasadarian.com for my new Los Angeles and Orange County agents. And, yes, I am keeping my beloved San Diego Model Management agency of 11 years, meanwhile, as they love me and I work steadily here with them).

But good Lord: headshots.

I hate shooting headshots.

Headshots are your calling card. Casting directors see thousands of these and yours needs to stand out saying SOMETHING that makes them want to call you in and meet you or have you read. (And, NO - - it doesn't have to scream "look at my big boobs" or "I am the prettiest or sexiest one out there"). Que va. They can say, "I'm cool" or 'quirky' or 'intelligent' or 'mysterious' -- they just need to say SOMETHING.

Think about it. Hollywood, especially in commercials -which is what I have the best experience and personality for - - has a need for ALL types. That means not just young, pretty and plastic - although certainly it needs that, too. It also needs 'normal' folk, all ethnicities and all ages. This is great for me - as I am ethnically ambiguous and can play a large age range still.

So...pictures. Now, throughout the years I have really learned to model in front of a camera. I can say it - this big-eyed, curvy, 5'9, 37 year old who started modeling at the ancient age of 26 - can pull off editorial and commercial pictures.

BUT that is modeling.

THIS is about acting headshots.

It's a horse of a different color, my kiddies ;)

My entire career casting directors and agents have called me in and looked me in real life and commented, "Your pics are not good enough" or "They don't do you justice" or "you are stronger than your photos". Ugh. And don't even get me started on my elusive smiling-with-teeth shots or having makeup artists who don't know how to apply makeup to ethnic skin or facial features. So, yeah, I saved myself some money this time around doing my own hair and makeup (curling it and then straightening it for 2 different 'looks').

Add to that I have so many looks and ages to portray that it makes it hard (and expensive$$) to have photos for each one of those portrayals. Sigh. Sometimes it's hard being a chameleon - - although the more categories I can portray arguably will bring me more work, it feels like I have a thumb in too many pies, as the old saying goes.
Alas, here are 3 of my Top 10 photos from my recent shoot. Now with digital cameras being used, I had oh, about 300 shots to choose from. What a headache to narrow it down. I am sick of looking at myself!! ;)

No comments: