Monday, October 22, 2007

Thoughts during the Fire Crisis

It is 9:45pm and I am watching the news on TV with bunny ears antenna (I don't have cable). My faithful cat, Jordy, is peacefully curled up at my feet tapping his tail lightly along with the flickering television light.

I spent an hour packing my tiny car with things that I deemed important and necessary in case of evacuation. It was a surreal time packing it. My car is a very small hatchback. But I knew exactly what to pack -some clothes, shoes, my photo albums (can't replace those), my important paperwork (thank God I'm organized so I had all of it in 1 box), a lot (not all) of my piano and vocal sheet music, medicines, my laptop and a handful of my favorite cds (music that is not easily replaced). That is it. An easy decision.

It is eerily quiet in my cul de sac - I noticed all 3 of my neighbors left a couple hours ago with their dogs. We haven't been evacuated yet (not even voluntarily yet.) But they left once they saw the red glow of the fire over the hill behind us within our view of the Proctor Valley/Sweetwater Springs area (the Harris fire).

I would have left as well to either Patrick's house or my parents in Bonita - although my brother and his family of 6 and dog have already been evacuated and are there, so it's pretty full. That said, it is hard to leave because of my cat, Jordy -who is terrified of being in cars and doesn't do well just plopping him into a new home. So I am not leaving until we have to, IF we have to.

I have emailed a few friends whom were evacuated - offering them to stay at my house with their animals. I guess it's just as well they are in hotels. It will be much more comfortable as I only have one bed and would have stayed myself on the floor with Jordy in a sleeping bag.

The news station I am watching is close to a fire and they said they are probably going to lose signal very soon as they smell smoke even in the studio at this point, I guess I will turn to the radio.

It's weird, I realized I was starving - having not eaten much since breakfast. I made myself one of my delicious vegetarian pizzas and even allowed myself a coke - something I never do. And I actually thought to myself, "It's going to be a long night, I might as well let myself eat well and drink some caffeinated soda pop."

I had booked 2 great paying modeling jobs this week, too, but I imagine it won't matter my eating a pizza and coke since they will probably be cancelled anyway.

They said if you are close to one of the several fires all heading west that you shouldn't sleep tonite - or take turns - one listening to the updates in case of evacuation. It's only me, so I'll be staying up. I really feel alone.

"It's okay, Jordy..." I informed my kitty, "I am watching out for us..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

E,

Is that pic taken from your place?

-D