Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happiness is...80s Music!!


Now, I am not referring to the clothing (good lord, shoulder pads and big hair) but the MUSIC of that "most-awesome, gnarly and radical" decade! Nor am I referring to 80s pop or heavy metal but mostly to the English Invasion also known as "New Wave" music. Can you imagine going through puberty with the likes of such so-delicious-that-yes-they-can-also-wear-makeup glorious leading men such as David Bowie, Martin Fry from ABC, George Michael from Wham! (before he "came out" 2 decades later), Spandau Ballet, A-HA, U-2, Depeche Mode, New Order - shoot maybe I am so accepting of gays because I even enjoyed Culture Clash and Boy George!!!

Ahh, the 80s - back when music was fun and hell: had a melody....

But nothing, nada, NOTHING can compare to one of the biggest and most dominating groups of that decade: none other than my beloved Duran Duran. Led by the absolutely charismatic and gorgeous playboy Simon Le Bon (I mean: could he have been ANYTHING else with that name???) me and my sisters joined a gazillion other girls (and boys) around the world in becoming utter fanatics of the "Fab 5". With their colorful, sexy videos shot in exotic locations Duran Duran's popularity soared with the parallel popularity of the new music video channel MTV that showcased them. Yes, everyone: these 5 musicians were utter sex symbols - even if they did wear rouge, lipstick and impossible haircuts. Going to their concert will forever remain a highlight of my teenage years...

More 80s goodness: Some of you readers may actually remember the thrill of anticipating a new LP (album), reading its lyrics, liner notes, thank-yous, and breathlessly pouring over every inch of the album cover art or picture. Downloading music and Ipods nowadays just does not compare.

And lastly, to this day I still love dancing the "skank" 80s dance move that embarrasses Patrick and other friends when I dance it in public. But nothing will ever stop my love for 80s music!! If any of you are feeling this blog entry might I recommend Thursday 80s Night at Shooters in North Park?!! It's a blast from the past!!
Click here for one of my favorite DD videos of all time!!!

3 comments:

Patrick said...

It's Culture Club babe ;)

Patrick said...

Oh and New Order is out of place on that list. I concur with Shooters on Thursdy nights a fun time for sure. When are we going again?

Elsa Martinez said...

Reply to your Comment #1: SHOOT! I always do that! Culture Clash actually exists - a trio of Latino actors/comediennes that I was blessed to do a show with!! Of course I meant Culture CLUB!

Reply to Comment #2 - don't get your Joyclub self in a tizzy - I wasn't ranking those mentioned groups - just pointing out a few of my faves!!

And FINALLY - Don't get a big head about introducing me to 80s Night at Shooters down the street from you - you aren't allowed to go with me since u don't like my 80s dancing!!!! I am gonna get a group of 80s fans who will dance with me on the dance floor with all the gay guys and you can kick back and watch!!!