Saturday, November 11, 2006

What DIDN'T happen in Vegas, Stays in Vegas


DISCLAIMER - While I am enjoying my weekend and getting my creative juices flowing I am posting an old blog story I guest-blogged on teawithlemon blog back in 2005. I know, I know: shame on me! But I promise there will be more recent elsa-goodies later! :)

For those of you working conventional jobs this might be of some amusement. I work several different jobs: as many artsy people do. This one was definitely different and I booked it through my friend, Stefanie's agency. In May 2005 after a very difficult interview and poloraid taken at a downtown club (hehehe) I was invited to fly out with 27 other San Diegan beauties (well, party girls anyway) by the LightGroup - an organization of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas.

Even at the audition I never really understood why we were being chosen to go to a free trip to Vegas and I must admit our agency owner never really made it clear herself. That said: it was a free trip there and Stefanie, Rachel and Brigetta were not going to let my goody goody status (I don't even LIKE Vegas) stop me from joining them on a night out.

We were all given free airline ticket, luxurious rooms, VIP treatment, dinner and paraded in the dinner club Fix, Carmel Bar Lounge and Light Club - all in the Bellagio Hotel. We were informed this was for 'networking' with execs and VIPS of the hotel... yeah, right. I suppose the 21 year old Charger girls with us believed that one. We were more like high class prostitutes – corralled into waiting bins like sheep, plied with judgment-debilitating liquor (I stopped at 1.5 mojitos and faked along with recently pregnant Rachel a vodka tonic for the rest of the night with tonic water and lime).

We were literally handpicked by some older (undoubtedly married) rich men who would stare at us and tell our ‘handlers’ (or pimps) which one of us was to be taken to their table for chit-chat and drinks. Stefanie was highly regarded by a trainer of the Pistons and I was dazzling in my Vanessa Rosas designer gown so I was chosen as well (what can I say - most of the girls were 10 years younger than us - how good could their conversing skills be with married, rich men??). Fortunately, Stef and I have much experience working parties and events and know the fine line of doing our job: feeding egos and making pleasant conversation without compromising our morals. It was a whirlwind trip (literally less than 24 hours in Vegas) and I am still not sure it was worth it. I didn't get a single 'networking' gig out of it - but the pineapple mojitos were simply FABULOUS!!
click on photo for more pictures!

No comments: