Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech


"No one deserves a tragedy," stated animatedly a professor at Virgina Tech. I sit here watching live coverage of the gathering held in the gymnasium of this fine university where it appears the entire student body united to hear President Bush and school administration give speeches, prayers and reflections. As the camera panned the audience of young 20-somethings my heart ached to see students bent over in prayer, holding hands, crying, stoic, shell-shocked. Many students wore their school colors. The orchestra played, "Amazing Grace" and I reflect that that is exactly what the speakers displayed as they speak to the audience. Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and Jews alike came together to share words and pray: united as Americans.

No one deserves a tragedy. And my thoughts, prayers and condolences go to all those affected. My mom once gave me during a very difficult time in my life the phrase from the Bible, "For in Fire, Gold is tested." These kids will prevail and be better people than they ever expected or can even comprehend right now. But right now it's a time to mourn.

God Bless...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that supposed to read "God is tested"?

Elsa Martinez said...

thanks for your comment. No, it stands correctly as "gold". It bears the meaning that in fire, gold can melt. The way I applied it to my life and for these students is that in this difficult situation (ie. 'fire') they (the 'gold') will be tested. They can either melt and fall apart or try to stand stronger than before. It doesn't sound as good trying to explain it, but the words have reminded me to stay strong and not fall apart.

Elsa Martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.