Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Bikram Experiment

  Unfortunately last Friday I re injured my bad knee injury from January that has been responsible for me being able to hardly work out the past 6 months and a 6-pound weight gain - not to mention having a lot of pain and limping.  It seems I can't ignore that this reoccuring injury is fairly serious and I need to rethink my exercising (again). So since I can't do cardio I decided to try an experiment and do a 7-day round of Bikram Yoga. Now, I have gone on 2 occasions before over a year ago to Bikram yoga - see blog here. It is the 1.5 hour class (which is hard enough just being that long) and executed in 120 degree heat and humidity.
  Having said that, today is #3 and I feel like a million bucks having sweat and stretched out bad toxins, aches and stiffness. My knee does bother me on some of the poses in class - that I have to manipulate a bit, but I am amazed that it's holding up as well as it is for the difficulty. I highly recommend yoga and pilates to anyone - the 2 have changed my life in the last 7 years of reducing/annihilating stress and chronic pain. The mental benefits of strength and relaxation have also been beneficial to me and my up and down lifestyle. It's not cheap, but I highly recommend it and hope it to be something I can do all the while through my old age.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 2 cents: Bikram yoga is a bunch of hooey. Sweating heavily does not release a lot of "toxins".

Elsa Martinez said...

TC, I am not an expert on the subject but I do believe that sweating and stretching beyond normal flexibility thanks to the heat is what releases toxins.

Anonymous said...

according to the Yogainsight webpage -One of the reasons the temperature in the room is set at a higher level is because working out in heat softens the muscles, tendons and ligaments. This will allow you to go deeper into a pose. You will also find that your body is more flexible; which will let you contort into positions you never thought possible. Other benefits of performing yoga in a hot room include less possibility of injury and the release of toxins in your body.