Thursday, June 26, 2008

Runway is "All About the Kids"

 
Even with my bad knee injury I've managed to limp through several Spring Runway shows. I decided to document some of them in my journal/blog since one day as I'm older and gray(er) I figure my kids (or cats) might want to know about some of the colorful things I've done in my life.

This particular show last March was for the charity, "It's All about the Kids" - that helps 600 disadvantaged youth in San Diego. My teaching for several years in poorer areas of SD definitely has made me aware of just how disadvantaged these kids are in comparison with so many of their peers - although they all have top of the line cell phones and IPODS that I don't have - shoot.

With a Brazilian Carnaval theme, the party took place at millionaire Jonathon Schiff's ocean side mansion in La Jolla. Being in a home, we did not have a normal catwalk, but had to model down a flight of stairs (ugh - how DO beauty pageant gals DO that without looking down??!!) and then onto a small elevated square room that was open on 2 sides so the crowd gathered to watch us.
 
A Brazilian-themed party meant teeny/tight swimtrunks for...thank GOD - the boys -- and not us women (phew!) Seeing the smoothly-waxed Wade and Scott strutting it without a care in the world brought back memories of when I brought my ex-Italian boyfriend Mik - lover of his own physique and teeny speedos - to LA to watch me in a runway show and he ended up being cast in it last-minute by the same gay producer, Leonard Simspon, who did this show. Leonard made Mik (who didn't flinch) strip to his bikini undies to study his body (oh yes he did-gay snap!) and after having him turn around and stared a bit he cut him from the speedo portion of that show (to Mik's chagrin) because he wasn't tanned evenly and he wasn't waxed - la la ha ha! Poor Mik, he's actually not that hairy, but one doesn't want to see soccer-short tan lines, nor nipple or under-belly-button hair on the runway. :P
 

My smooth-voice friend, Stephanie June, a host and producer of ShindyTV was there and got great coverage of the show. To check it out, click on link here.

And click below for slide show of runway pictures!
"It's Alll About the Kids" Runway

No comments: