Saturday, February 13, 2010

2009 San Diego Best Dressed - aka The Great FALL


okay, it had to happen. I have done many runway shows at this point - almost 10 years' worth. It was my time. To be noticed. To stand out. Am I talking about having the honor of opening or closing the show? No - although I've done that.

No.

I am referring to my great.... fall. Bite the dust. Eat it.

Now, this happens more often than you know in runway see here for example.

Oh, it has happened to top models. It has happened to friends I know and work with. And now it was my turn. But in true Elsa-style mine had to really stand out. Not just trip or fall on the runway but at this particular show in November at the Spreckles Theater downtown it was a theater stage and the audience aisles that we walked down - - not a normal catwalk.

On the opening scene I was leading my line of girls on stage right and I was to walk down a poorly-made staircase from the stage down to the audience where we would then walk up and down the aisles - I initially liked it being set up differently than normal runway catwalks but the problem was that they poured out stage smoke at the top of the show so that up to my knees was gone in visibility. I simply could not SEE the stairs - -so what did I do? I gracefully and accidentally stepped OFF into the orchestra PIT! Oh, that moan of the part of the crowd who saw me - - the audible gasp still lingers in my ear.

Now, I obviously can laugh at myself - or I wouldn't admit to this by blogging about it. But I fell about 7 feet into a dark pit - I could have broken my neck. And the audience, fellow models, and producer knew it. The fact that I eventually found my shoe and headpiece that came off in the darkness down there and CLIMBED OUT in utter pain to finish the show with the audience applauding my sheer effort - is worth patting myself on the back - whew!

My foot was bleeding in 3 places, my expensive heel broke (drat!) and my body ached the way a 37-year-old could only feel taking a bad fall. I was encouraged to not finish the show as dressers cleaned my wounds while pulling off my clothes but I am a trooper and come from the theater. Therefore the motto, "The Show Must Go On" played in my head with all the adrenaline cursing through my veins. All I know is that my normal personality and 'face' that I usually have when walking was gone - I looked like I was in pain because I WAS in pain. I remember my hands shaking the entire show just due to adrenaline. I knew I could be more hurt than just the bleeding wounds on my foot and toes.

Well, I DID finish the show. I DID refuse medical treatment and the ER. AND I somehow got up early to drive to LA to do another runway show - even though my foot was swollen, bruised, and bleeding - don't ask me how I put on heels the next day. Man, it took about a month for my entire body to stop aching - and I still have the scars on my foot and a spot on my toe that aches with certain heels that I wear.

But I did it. And I lived to tell it .... here. To all of you. (he he he)

Go, E, GO!

Click on Slideshow below for pics (not of the fall, don't get crazy)
The Great Fall - Runway

No comments: