Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Phantom of the Opera






















Oh. My. Goodness.

It finally has happened.

The stage musical sequel to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's massive and, for me: life changing 'Phantom of the Opera'.

The Phantom came to America in 1987 when I was in high school - having just started opera lessons myself and winning a slew of awards and accolades as a singer in my school's prestigious choir and show choir, The Music Machine, it was very much a part of my choosing to study classical voice in college.

I cannot even begin to describe how much this musical touched me, my family, and so many around the world - especially at its height - before the mediocre, miscast movie, before all the watered-down national tours and the shortened Vegas show (only 1.5 hours) so you can be in and out to gamble.

Que va. I am talking about the ORIGINAL cast - with Sarah Brightman and the truly amazing Michael Crawford. I am talking the original show. My family got the CD and listened to it for months before the show eventually opened in Los Angeles for a several year run with thee Michael Crawford at its helm. Musical CDs have the entire lyrics and basic stage directions in the liner booklet and my family was SO enamored and enraptured by the story that we did NOT allow any of us to read the FINAL page of it to know what happened in the final scene of the show. That may sound like nothing to you- but real fans understand: imagine months of not knowing and theorizing who Christine chose (The Phantom or Raoul?) The last few minutes of the show is all orchestral - no words - therefore one cannot decipher what happens unless they see the show or read the final page.

We bought a year in advance tickets to the LA show which would have been enough just to finally find out how the show ends (perfectly - - although heart-breaking for our beloved Phantom). Nonetheless, in a perfectly-staged valentine ode to the amazing, ahead-of-its-time ballet movie, "The Red Shoes" - the final scene has a small spotlight that hones in on the famous mask until it immerses in darkness with the final haunting and utterly beautiful final chords of "The Music of the Night".

Seeing the show with Michael Crawford was almost insane for all of us - brothers included. Not handsome, not even young - not even a typically 'beautiful' voice or the big Broadway belt that all the following-cast Phantoms exemplify - Michael Crawford stole audience's hearts for his ACTING, for the true mischief, insanity, genius, sex appeal and more than anything - the utter pain that the character required. I remember his height and his beautiful, large hands when her performed - - he sang and acted with his hands - not unlike a dancer!

There has been and will NEVER be another Michael Crawford in this role.

As far as the lead of Christine. The show was written for Lloyd Webber's young wife at the time, Sarah Brightman. Although I have heard and seen many other technically better performers I still hold a soft spot for her quirky, young voice. As for me, my voice fit that repertoire perfectly - especially at a younger age (she was only to be 20 or so in the production). I sang it and played it on the piano constantly - all the coloratura runs and all.

I could speak volumes on my knowledge of the production but I will stop there and leave you with something I remember seeing in 1988 in real-life. The Tony Awards with the 2 original leads - - it still takes my breath away..

No comments: