Monday, February 08, 2010

The Phantom 'Never Dies'


So here is the press review of, "Love Never Dies" the NEW sequel to the Phantom of the Opera debuting in London in March. Joey, my ex boyfriend during those high school years (and a singer/actor himself)sent me this and is planning to go there just for the show. He knows how much the original show meant to me. I was obsessed with Michael Crawford and went up to LA several times to see him perform in the role up there.

I had heard rumours that Lloyd-Webber was secretly working on a sequel and now it's true. For true fans this 20-minute video will be of NO problem sitting through but those who want to hear the music go to minute 8 to hear the overture - - lovely, in waltz tempo - it is reminiscent slightly of Lloyd Webber's previous hit "Sunset Boulevard"- I say this for the old Hollywood glamour style but there is definitely the sweeping, richly-arranged romantic sound of the original Phantom of the Opera show.

As far as the newly cast (boy - does he have a LOT of pressure) young man who will be playing the Phantom (see video below)- I can say that they should have cast Michael Crawford- even aged - they really owed it to the fans (especially after that movie debacle). The storyline is to be a continuation of years later - therefore an older Phantom would have been perfectly suitable. I can say in fairness I can only assume they spoke with Crawford and his people and perhaps HE did not want the undertaking of it all - it is exhausting performing 8 shows a week and there is no doubt that this sequel has massive footsteps to follow.

That said - the original fans WANT it to succeed. Want to feel the love and the heart-break and feel moved by the haunting music. There is a built-in audience already for this this new show. And whether it critically fails - it will have presold ticket sales years in advance. It will do just fine.

Although the Phantom song above is lovely and dramatic, I am not impressed with the pretty boy, Broadway-belting young man who sings in the video - there is nothing that stands out like Michael Crawford in voice and delivery. He is currently singing the role in London and I just see him and the Christine as too young. Pretty, but too young for the sequel. There is a certain grace and pain that come with aging, losing things you love, experiencing the ups and downs of life. They really, and I emphatically repeat, REALLY should have cast an older Phantom and a 30ish Christine.

We shall see. London is a bit far for me now that I am not single to go do. But when it opens in NYC I shall be quite tempted to make it a trip and see my actor friends there.

I wait with baited breath...

No comments: