Saturday, December 10, 2011

Community Uptown Magazine shoot

I got a call a couple weeks ago from my dear model friend, Feben. She told me her friend's magazine lost a model and needed a Middle Eastern/East Indian model for a cover shoot of her Community Magazine. It was the middle of the week but I was free for a couple hours in the evening - so why not? I've done work before as an East Indian model and Feben, herself, is Ethiopian, so I figured we could pass.

We shot at Bombay Restaurant in Hillcrest - in their stunning Sapphire Room - the big private party room in the back. I loved it - the details and ornamentation were amazing and authentic!
And don't get me started on our authentic saris and jewelry from India! They brought out 10 decked-out saris in different colors and I wanted to try them all on but only tried on 2 before colors were chosen.
Frank Bongiorno was the photographer. Makeup and Hair by the highly esteemed Flora Wade. In the shoot we also had Gloria - a latina dancer and Valentina - a Russian bellydancer from LA who even brought her snake and did some shots with her eating fire, etc.
What a fun shoot! The Community Magazine puts out those free Uptown and Downtown and coastal coupons which, when I had roommates, we used to fight over (not really) since some of those 2-for-1s were highly desirrable! The magazine came out last week and since then I've been getting texts and emails from people all over San Diego asking if that is me that came in the mail. The first to recognize me was one of my nephews in the Kensington area who asked my sister, "Mom - isn't that Aunty Elsa?" To which she replied, "No, I don't think so." HELLOOOO!!! I realize I can clean up well and look different, but I work all the time, so by now my family should know that they only hear and see 1/5th of what I do so if they come across something looking like me - it probable IS!
This shoot was extra special due to my being enamored of the Bollywood culture - I have longed to go to India since I was a teen. It's on our Top 3 list - along with Cuba and Argentina. Plus, I really enjoyed myself shooting once again with my beautiful model-sister and meeting new people.

It was easy money in addition to a gift certificate to the restaurant which my husband and I promptly engorged on the following week after Bikram yoga class.

Not too shabby - - enjoy!

No comments: