Tuesday, December 13, 2011

New York Couture Fashion Week 2011

Saturday was The Day.

How exciting!

Unfortunately, my 18 year old model friend, Emma, was extremely ill with a fever and really bad sore throat. I ended up having to really take care of her - trying to get her meds, hot tea at Starbucks, soup - things that could make her feel better. It was rough because she really shouldn't have walked but she was the finale dress and had done many fittings with Pilar so she was not going to cancel.

It got to the point where I needed to leave to the show and she was really hurting so I called Pilar and asked if she could come late to hair and makeup. Pilar didn't know she was sick so of course she said that was fine. Emma painfully got through the show but we had to leave right afterwards - no after parties for me :( I ended up taking her to ER early morning and not getting to do the last bit of sight-seeing I had wanted before leaving Sunday evening - but I am glad I was able to help her. I know her parents were thankful I was there, too.

Here is video of me walking up Lexington Avenue from my hotel to the Waldorf Hotel to do hair and makeup.


It turned out that another San Diego model friend, Rosie (also in many of my blogs) was in town working for another job and so we got her in to our show that week as well. It was pretty cool that there were 3 generations of San Diego models in the show - Emma at 18, Rosie at 29 and me at 39! It also made it special to do it with people I know - the girls and Joseph Anthony doing hair.

New York Couture Fashion Week was held at the historic and beautiful Waldorf-Astoria hotel on Park Boulevard. Walking into the lobby I longed to have a drink with Rosie after the show at the bar where we could look for "Mad Men" TV types hehehhe.
Backstage was mayhem as usual but we got through it all. I only then found out that Pilar was having me open the show - - I almost cried. To open or close a show is considered an honor. I know it was her way of saying thanks for my support and time all throughout the spring and summer.

The show was 3 days long with a late morning, afternoon and evening set of 3 designers each. We had a coveted time slot of 8pm on Saturday night. Once backstage Pilar was trying to instruct us on the walk she wanted. No offense, but it wasn't coming off too clearly and it was starting to stress some girls out. We didn't even know what the music was that we were walking to. Pilar had said it was classical music. I finally just stepped aside from the madness backstage and thought to myself, "You are opening this show and you will hear the first few notes of music and know what kind of walk you are supposed to do." My only plan was to keep my hands on hips as she wanted and let my trained musical ear and sense of theatrics get me through it and do Pilar proud...

Show time!
Click on link below:
NY Couture Fashion Week - backstage!

No comments: