Sunday, June 10, 2007

Not OUR Fred!!!

I flipped out today when I saw this article on MSN.com regarding a basset hound who turned up hundreds of miles away from his home. For those of you who don't daily read my blogs, Patrick, my boyfriend, has a basset hound (see link) and we have always commented that even though he loves us if he ever got out free, he'd follow that big hound nose after some scent and leave us behind foever. Read the article below (and check out the name!!!!)



FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – A basset hound that somehow found its way about 430 miles east of its home in Riverside, Calif. is about to be reunited with its family.

The basset hound, named Fred, was found by an employee Wednesday evening in the parking lot of the Second Chance Center for Animals in Flagstaff, Ariz.

The next morning, staff members found a microchip in Fred that allowed them to figure out that the dog was registered at Riverside County Animal Control in Southern California. The shelter contacted Fred's speechless owner on Friday.

The owner said Fred disappeared after she moved to Riverside in December. She didn't know how he could have ended up in Flagstaff.

Paul Fink, a veterinarian at the Flagstaff shelter and a licensed pilot, has offered to fly Fred home to his family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Checking in from the DR ' ' that has got to be one of the friggin´cutest pics I´ve seen.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were not a dog person?

Elsa Martinez said...

tsk tsk! Who keeps saying that??!! I have NEVER said that - in fact I am a HUGE animal lover. I grew up riding my horse on a farm with everything from dogs to chickens to a mean-spirited goat that would always rear on me. I never had a dog as a kid - w always had cats and I have Jordy-the-cat now, but that doesn't mean I am not a dog person. I just don't agree with them being kept indoors - or on furniture!!