Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's a Small World, after all

I had a very entertaining Saturday eve in North Park at Ray Street at Night - the art gallery street festival that happens in North Park, San Diego every second Saturday a month.

I'd had only been once to this - and alone at that - even though Patrick lived only 4 blocks away from this quaint night out of art galleries and major people-watching. Now, I made the journey here as I currently don't live in North Park and I would have even gone alone but my friends Richele and Shannon joined me and I even met best friend Diana and her husband, John, who were there partying with a bunch of 20-somethings from her office hehehe.

As we browsed one particular gallery we 3 were enthusiastically accosted by the manager/owner who kept asking us how were we, to which we'd reply, "Good, thank you." But he wanted us to respond with "Fine" because we are "Fine Women" - get it? (Good Lord, give me strength because E is not in the mood to be hit on these days). He was adamant about asking it over and over, too - but when he offered a free glass of wine to Richele and Shannon they had no problem sitting down amiably at his bar hehehe. It was then at that moment I heard behind me a voice ask, "Excuse me, what's your name?"

Now, I am the type of person who often gets recognized in some way, be it in earlier days from doing theater or appearing in commercials that were currently airing, or even modeling or ads - for Pete's sake I am still on the box of Kix 3 years running! So, I am used to people asking me what do they know me from. But they never ask my name like this gal did. Just as curious I replied to her, "Elsa" and she immediately exclaimed, "I knew it! I READ your blog!!!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My inner first thought was - "Do people actually read this blog???" but my verbal response was my hands flying up to either side of my head as I shook my head and smiled, "Oh my goodness - I don't even know what to say - I am so flattered - holy cow! I am really...completely flattered - gee whiz!"
Turns out this sweet gal, H - I will protect her identity - found elsamart's Gift To Gab somehow and she said, "I loved the Palin bikini picture you put up ...." as well as probably one of the most gratifying things a writer of any level could hear: "I love how you write and I feel like I know you."

Well, those who DO know me or make up the small, but international number of my regular readers should know that I do write with my heart on my sleeve. Although I can entertain while writing, I must admit that this blog has been mostly a journal of words, thoughts and pictures of my life and is done for MY happiness or reflection - not to entertain the masses necessarily. I know there are those out there in cyberland who don't know me and may accuse me of being self-absorbed when the truth is I have been keeping thousands of pages of journals since 14 and this is just my adult version of doing it.

We chatted cheerfully for a bit while I also met her friend and companion - A. As we left I invited them to head to Bluefoot Lounge down a few blocks in South Park for my Deejay friend, Morgan, was spinning that night and I wanted to support my fellow artist. To my delight the girls actually made it there a couple hours later where we danced and laughed at some of the antics going on. You know when people are genuienly down to earth - I am like that so I love it when I meet others that are like that.

Small world, eh? I had such a great time and still shake my head thinking this gal from North County came to North Park Ray at Night for the first time and runs into me when I don't even live there anymore and recognizes me from my pictures and has the grand character to approach me - I mean, that is something I would do being a "people person" and all...

And would you believe that today A recognized Patrick as well as she used to work with him at his La Jolla company??? What the??!

SMALL WORLD, eh?

I love it when interesting, out-of-the-ordinary things happen to me - that is partly what makes my life unconventional and colorful :)

And it gives me great stories to recount and blog about, of course!

No comments: