Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Someone get that girl a Hankey!!



If you read my blog last week stating that I somewhat successfully was able to transfer some video from my parents' video camera to my computer - after I thought I had lost it all - you will understand that I will be (except for any technical difficulties) posting some videos onto Youtube and here.

They are mostly of family, and I certainly wouldn't expect any one of you readers to spare a couple minutes watching them. That said, this blog serves, more than anything- as a journal of my life - which includes family, travel, my cat, friends, deep thoughts, poetry and YES: Patrick.

Call me a martyr but I am posting the video of last Easter which was when we announced our engagement to some of my family -only about half were there. I admit, that I cried upon viewing it the first time but they were mostly tears of happiness at seeing such a joyous occasion.

Too bad, for whatever reason, uploading it onto youtube lost the good quality the original has. This video is much more grainy but that might be just as well since you can't really see the tears streaming down my face the entire time on the video he he he :P

Of course, my huge family has a great sense of humour so I want to point out things I thought were noteworthy to watch out for.

Firstly, my oldest brother Gabriel is filming - he didn't know what was going on - so you hear him first asking out loud, "What? What is going on?" as we await my father's announcement. Another thing that I love is seeing my autistic nephew, Ryan, jumping around and pounding on the piano excitedly when he hears the family cheer for us. He most likely was unable to wrap his head around why we were cheering - but the fact that he was happy and cheering along with all the rest makes me think that deep down inside that beautiful boy knows exactly what is going on - he just doesn't vocalize it like we do... :)

Next you see Gabe congratulate Patrick and welcome him into the family with a hearty handshake and even heartier, "I wish you, 'good luck', Patrick...goooood LUCK" - gotta see it to hear the emphasized comic timing.

Then you see my oldest sister, Cecilia and Gabe looking at my Irish Claddah ring that Patrick brought me from Ireland and you hear Ceci comment to me and then pan to the camera, "It doesn't look 'masculine' one bit.." - hilarious!!

But the best part was hearing my dear mamma ask for everyone to pray for us (deaammn, ya'll didn't pray hard enough - shoot!!) and 'how she wished that Ciara - their new granddaughter-to-be was there with us all that day'. My family knows that it takes a lot to be involved with a someone who has a child from a previous relationship. Especially if you have a heart and concern similar to mine in regards to children. I remain utterly grateful for my family and extended family's ease in acceptance and love for Ciara and Patrick right from the beginning. I know we are loud, gregarious and very spiritual and that sometimes overwhelmed my shy, quiet Irishman - but he was extremely blessed to be in our family and I suspect he knows knows it quite well.

And of course, it wouldn't be a Latino family without right after the short, but important announcement and cheering, the host and other sister, Sylvia, jumps up and commands, "Okay, now we can eat!" as if to say, "Okay, let's get to the REAL announcement that: dinner is served!!"

As I mentioned in the blog written about it at the time (click here), there are sometimes downsides to being the youngest - mine was just another engagement announcement in a huge family - which probably was just as well as you can see how self-conscious Patrick was during the whole thing - he doesn't like being the center of attention - sigh :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.