Friday, January 18, 2008

English Translation

 Alas, I've been asked twice today to translate my song from yesterday. Usually translating to English from Spanish completely loses its resonance and meaning since Spanish is a romantic language (and a romantic people!) and is full of fluid, flowery phrases and references to nature, beauty and drama. Whereas English is straight forward, boring and we don't speak that lovely way to one another. Nonetheless, I must admit that in this case, even in Spanish, artist Franco de Vita was as straight forward as one can get. So nothing below that makes me ache every single time I still hear it is 'lost in translation'...

A GOOD LOSER

I know that you are thinking of leaving me
I already know it
And I won't stop you:
Do whatever you want to do.

However, remember that I will be
here in the same place.
And if you ever feel like talking,
I'd love to listen.

And if he knows how to give you more love..
knows how to fill you with it better than me:

Then clearly I will know how to lose.
Of course I know how to lose.


There's no need to fall apart.
Those tears are more than enough.
If you need to go:
Go already.

Nonetheless, I was hoping you'd stay
but one must allow running water to flow.
Meanwhile I'm choking on words
that I did not know how to say.

And if the winds blow in your favor
I won't hold any resentment towards you, no.

Of course I know how to lose:
it won't be the first time.
Today you leave,
tomorrow I'll be going myself.

I will be a good loser.
For the World isn't going to change.
Besides, it is without a doubt that
someone will eventually take your place...

No comments: