Saturday, March 03, 2007

80s Song of the Week - Culture Club - "Do you Really Want to Hurt Me?"

I believe this may have been Culture Club's first American big hit. I really think that lead singer, Boy George, has a pretty voice. He has this long, thin nose - and, being a singer, I can tell how that gives him this great, forward, almost nasal, woman-like tone. Who couldn't have fun listening to their music? It was certainly different than anything else going on at the time.

In my family we grew up so sheltered and unexposed to so much, I am surprised (now, as an adult) that I didn't question Boy George's 'she-male' whole thing. I always was fascinated by his long corn-row braids and meticulously-applied makeup. Should it be no surprise, then, that I grew up completely non-judging and befriending gays?? My favorite place to live in San Diego still is my 7 year stint in the gay community of Hillcrest...

No comments: