Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Spontaneity in 1 of the 7 World Wonders..

If you read the previous entry you understand that I had gone to Sedona, Arizona with my ex boyfriend, Mik. After a couple days spent there we then drove another couple hours to one of the Seven Wonders of the World: the Grand Canyon. I had been to the GC as a child with my family. I have vague memories of how my high school-aged track star oldest sister, Ceci, saved some Boy Scouts who got stuck and highly dehydrated hiking back up the Canyon on a hot summer day. We heard their cries for help and Ceci shot off running a couple miles back to where we knew help was. That said, being only about 6 or 7 years old at the time I certainly didn't hike the Canyon.

Well, as usual I go for extremes. This time, not only did Mik and I hike the Canyon. But we ended up hiking all the way to the Canyon floor and back UP in 1 day. Kids: do NOT try this at home! It was one of the stupidest, exhausting, most irresponsible things I have ever done. That said: it was extremely exhilarating and AMAZING!! A true adventure!

What ended up happening was not planned. I feel like I need to point that out. Mik and I had never planned on attempting to hike down and back up in 1 day. I knew enough to know that especially during the hotter seasons, hikers can risk death trying to hike too much in 1 day. Well, Mik and I set off carefree as usual. We kept going and figured we'd turn around when needed. Meanwhile we came across hikers slowly coming back up. They were hurting. And resting a lot.

Well, next thing we knew we were going along at a good clip and actually could see the Colorado River. We looked at the time and decided to go for it. Nuts. I am telling you. Something that is supposed to take a full day to just descend, we ended up going there AND back in just under 8 hours. I am thinking it might possibly be a record?!! Now, let me explain: we had to run some of the downwards trail to be able to make it back up by nightfall. And we also didn't have on heavy, bulky hiking gear - in fact, all we had was a couple snacks, our camera and a medium bottle of Gatorade each to drink. Still: it was a dumb idea and we are lucky it worked out as well as it did.

That said, I DID destroy my right knee completely doing that hike. The terrain became very uneven and rocky as we got lower and lower (since it isn't traveled as much as the first 1/4th of the trail, it doesn't get worn and smoothed out.) That was rough going. But we couldn't complain about the great hiking weather. It got chilly once in a while and even drizzled on us but most of the times it alternated between being overcast and sunshine breaking through. We couldn't have done the hike if it was any hotter or drier.

The Canyon is surreal. So beautiful and large. Just amazing. The textures and colors are extraordinary. We were rushed and focused on the trail but we certainly still enjoyed the beauty. We were amazed at the splendid Colorado River at the bottom. Almost green in color, it was lovely and there was a sandy beach where some Europeans where camping out. They thought we were crazy going right back up after only spending about 10 minutes at the floor. They also eyed our Gatorade doubtfully and commented that was not enough fluids for us to come back up with. But what could we do? We would have loved to stay down below and enjoy it, but we had to get back by nightfall and to our car - we didn't want to be locked inside the park gates.

Well, what we DID do was become human camels. I had NEVER had to preserve liquids the way I did on that hike. It was...painful. I was really hurting and limping on my right knee. Going up was harder due to cardiovascular reasons, but it WAS easier on my knee than going down. Mik had a slightly easier time than me - well, he IS younger and in GREAT shape. With about a third of a way back up to the top I had ran out of liquids and he gallantly gave me the rest of his. It was really hard. But I will tell you: it felt like we had the whole Canyon to ourselves. It was just AMAZING. It was so quiet, hearing only the wind and our own voices. And also once it got late wildlife actually started coming out to feed. Can you imagine? A major tourist attraction and we had it to ourselves!!

But we weren't safe yet. The sun was going down and although we could see the top, we knew we had a bit to go and we had no flashlights and parts of the trail are narrow and on cliff sides. Well, I will tell you that by the Grace of God we finished the last half hour of the trail in pure darkness. And right when we got to the top we saw and took a picture of a sign that said to NOT attempt to hike in 1 day what we JUST did. Moments later a torrential rain and wind down poured on us as we tried in vain in the darkness to search for the roads that led to our car parked less than a mile away. We were exhausted, tired and starving. Our legs were aching and I was limping. I admit that I started getting really worried. Then an angel appeared in the form of an employee who saw us in the street and took us to our car. It was very possible we would not have found it that night. We were extremely fortunate.

As much as I do not condone our spontaneous and reckless behaviour, I must admit now that we are safe that I am very pleased to have had that last adventure with my Italian, Mik. No one else would have been stupid enough to do it with me. And it was amazing to share it with him as our last hurrah. Blessings to him and his new girlfriend. I shall always remember his sweet temperament and unconventional ways. :)
The Grand Canyon
Click on Slideshow!

No comments: