Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"Dancing" Supermodel is robbed!!

Banner night tonite as I adjusted the rabbit ears that Patrick lent me (I don't have cable) that are attached to my flat screen TV so I can watch American Idol and alternated that with "Dancing with the Stars'. As far as the latter I felt compelled to blog (after they shamelessly dragged out the voting long) by the injustice brought upon a model hero of mine - Paulina Poriskova, who was the first to be booted out of the competition.

Firstly, allow me to comment that, overall, this year has the best naturally gifted group of contestants. Leila Ali was fabulous, I still can't get over her mambo and her grace - I mean, she is a muscular prize fighter for Pete's sake! She can probably crush cans in her hands he he he! I have a crush on Olympic skater Apollo (also a great job) and from "90210", Ian Z. - who has, as I always remark: aged wonderfully at the age of 40 - such a yummy age for men. I also am going to be a fan of the older "Cheers" guy, John R., who did a splendid job performing and selling it. Major kudos to Heather Mills and her fake leg - hello! Awesome back walk-over!

Meanwhile, back to Paulina. She was so beautiful, oozing class and grace - she ain't no spring chicken either, and I have to also point out that the taller you are and longer your limbs, the harder it is for a dancer. She has the same body as she did 20 years ago as a supermodel - hello!!! She has been my first and ultimately favorite model through the years (she is long retired, of course) but she was amazing back in the 80s with her Sports Illustrated Swimsuit covers and appearing as the original face of Estee Lauder. My sisters and I just adored her. She was so foreign and beautiful (from the Czech Republic) but not overtly sexy like top models are nowadays. She had class, humility and grace and it reflected in a lot of her editorials - even when posing in a tiny swimsuit. It's easy to be just "hot" and stick out your boobs - the difference with her was her character, sense of humour and brains behind her beauty. Myself being an a-typical model, I can say that she was a lesson in relying on something else besides the external.

I was so pleased to see her on this show and she actually was well-received by the judges - placing 5th out of 11 couples by their scores. That said: the public votes on the other half and this is where it becomes a popularity contest. Like she said, "Her fan base is her family at this point and it's not extensive enough." No one under 30 probably knows who she is at this point or how huge she was. Kids are voting for fat Joey from N'Sync and Billy Ray Cyrus (who SHOULD have left) because he is dad to Nikolodean's "Hannah Montana".

She was robbed!! But she is still stunning!!

No comments: