Thursday, March 15, 2007

Soy "Lunatica" for Gotan Project


I wanted to write about this group, Gotan Project for quite some time. I say this because they are AMAZING and I think some of my readers might enjoy them. They are truly one of my favorite groups in the world - and I have a pretty diverse musical taste. That said, meet Gotan Project - made up of 1 Swiss, 1 Argentine, and 1 Parisian (sometimes joined by a Spanish female vocalist). Their music is part chill, ambient, electronica - all infused with original, basic tango influence. Sometimes political, and always pure art and sexy - they are truly one-of-a-kind. No worries about the language barrier - a lot of it is instrumental and besides, the music itself will make you feel so sensual - even if you are NOT a spicey latina like me! I came upon them about 5 years or so ago, on the Los Angeles NPR station: KCRW. Regular pop American stations will not play this kind of music, you see - even if they are famous from Tokyo to Mexico to Australia. I imagine, in North America, they are at their least popular or known. *Well, someone DID have the foresight to include them in the Jennifer Lopez remake of the Japanese movie, "Shall we Dance?". Their song plays when she seductively teaches Richard Gere how to REALLY tango and feel the music and passion. Holy hot tamales! If you've seen the movie, you KNOW the scene I am referring to.

A couple years back in Italy, I had the good fortune to see them live in concert - without the thrills of being young and gorgeous, with choregraphed dancing - they were just real, talented, unique musicians hard at work and doing what they do best - bringing the native sounds of Argentina music mixed with modern ambient electronica to an international fan base of all ages.

As for the above video, "Diferente" from their sophomore album, "Lunatico" - I not only LOVE the song and love both the beautiful Argentine young woman AND handsome young man featured in it - but it's a brilliant show of unique video-making. Note the use of the mirror doubling-effect and the very interesting surprise at the end of the video! Bonus points goes to who comments first on what "Gotan" means... :)

No comments: