Friday, March 30, 2007

Keating Hotel Grand Opening - A Girls Night Out

Last night was the first time I have gone out since I moved from Hillcrest. Hmm.. let me clarify that - it was the first night out with someone other than my P. I am not complaining: I've been traveling with him and money is tight right now since I quit one of my jobs, but I must admit I had a great time last night going out with a big group of model girl friends for the opening of a swanky new hotel downtown called the, "Keating Hotel."

My friend and ex boss, Stefanie, had been contacted to submit about 20 fine-looking, classy models from her agency. For those who don't read previous posts (link), she owns her own promotional and spokesmodeling agency, Elios Enterprises. That said, she has a fine stable of promotional girls - which isn't quite the same as working fashion or print models. In need of help, she asked me to contact some of my model lady friends to see if they were interested in working the evening.

The job was shamefully easy: we were simply eye-candy, supposed to mingle and chat up the VIP guests and look pleasant and have a good time. Well, much to my joy a group of some of my favorite co-working models accepted and we all ended up getting into 3 stretch-hummer limos (I do disdain limos - a little too cheesy and pretentious for my humble tastes - but it was nice not to have to deal with parking) - and got dropped off on the red carpet amidst a flash of camera bulbs in front of the hotel.

I was joined by my lovely bridal show co-models: Lauren (lovely redhead) and my comadre y tocaya, Yolanda; my salsa dance partner-in-crime: Ashley; my wonderful runway walking partner (we have the same stride): Kristen; and my little 'sister' in modeling: Alison and her very blonde friend, Keagan. There was even a surprise appearance from non-model but should be a hair model: Richele (see previous blog) who got invited last-minute. She had never looked better - - stressful grad school must be good to her! But it was hilarious to see her squirm at all the pictures she was obliged to pose for. As she stated, "I am not used to so many pictures being taken of me." I told her that she looked fabulous and had to suck it up for the evening and continued to pose her and snap shots with my own camera as well. Firstly, please allow me to say that the gals were all lovely in their nice clothes. I was very happy and proud to be strolling around with them in the big circus-tent that had been erected in front of the hotel. They actually closed the street off for it. The open bar served fabulous Cuban mo'jitos and the BEST DRINK I had EVER had: pink watermelon martinis made with Belvedere Vodka lined with green-dyed sugar on the rim - oh...my....golly. Lip-smacking h'ordorvous were also served but I must critique that there was not enough of them and too much of red-meat products (yucky for those vegetarians like me). But the marinated mushrooms with a dollop of whipped potatoes were scrumptious as well as the grilled shrimp shisk-a-bobs.

Plied with too many free drinks, we giggled while mingling and posed for pictures, and then went into the hotel to check out the 3 rooms they had on display. Now this is my kind of place. Swanky, with a dark red color theme, mood lighting, and darkwood metrosexual furniture: I was in heaven. We "oooed" and "ahhhed" as we turned every corner and then, when we thought it couldn't get better we went to the suite which had the most amazing outdoor jacuzzi-spa amidst zen Japanese plants on on a gorgeous wooden floor. We understood that the suite - 2 bedroom, 1 living/wet-bar area, plus the outdoor spa goes for a whopping $3300 a night - Holy frijoles!!!

Eventually we made our way back downstairs and exited the lobby to go to the adjacent underground lounge bar. Oo la la. Again: with red mood lighting and my kind of lounge furniture and European lounge music playing: it was definitely my kind of place to clean up well and sip a cosmo.

Alas, 10pm struck and just like Cinderella fearing to turn back in to a pumpkin (you know what I mean) the girls did one last runway sashay back to the waiting, gas-guzzling limos.

We definitely were overserved (my drink was knocked over in the bathroom, and Alison wanted Yolanda and I to teach her how to say something sexy in spanish - tee hee), but I have got to say that I had a blast with the gals and we all agreed that we need to do that again. Life is short after all, verdad?
Click below for slideshow!
Hotel Keating Opening Night