Saturday, December 30, 2006

Dreamgirls Movie a dream role for Jennifer Hudson


Ok, after a few failed attempts I finally went to see the movie based on the Broadway musical, "Dreamgirls". Now as a little preface: I have done professional musical theater acting for some years and have a college degree in vocal performance. I take my performing seriously and admit to being a critic of others' performances. It's very constructive for my own performance level to see as many good and bad performers as possible. You really can learn a lot by watching others. You see what works and doesn't.

So, back to the movie. I went with my old high school boyfriend, Joey and his lovely wife, Mary. Joey and I went to see the musical onstage back in high school in the 80s, so it was a treat to see it and discuss it in length since we know it so well.

First of all: I loved the movie. I really enjoyed it! I think that director, Bill Condon (who did the "Chicago" movie as well) did a fantastic job transferring it to the big screen. The costumes, wigs and makeup of the 60s and 70s were pure eye candy! The women looked ridiculously FABULOUS!!!

Second of all: I loved the casting. Now, I am a STICKLER for casting. I have seen casting mishaps in TV shows, movies and theater my whole life. Casting can be so political at times: it definitely is NOT always about talent. That said, I completely agree with the casting for this movie. Every single role was played by the appropriate looking and talented actor. Let's face it: pop star Beyonce as pretty girl, if slightly less talented singer, "Deena" was perfect. She not only looked INCREDIBLE in her period costumes but she made it highly believable that she would be bumped up from backup singer to the lead singer of the group because of her look and being able to be a product to be packaged into a superstar.

Now let's get to the main role of "Effie" played by American Idol alumni, Jennifer Hudson. With no acting experience, this young lady was so moving and convincing and capable in her role of original lead singer, being sent packing after her manager and lover decided to make Deena the star. Let me tell you: on her power ballad, "And I'm telling you I'm not going" she brought tears to my eyes. Let me say that I LOVE to be moved by a performance, be it singing, acting or dancing. To be moved enough to cry at her heart-breaking and extremely difficult song to the point where when it ended the movie audience broke out in cheering and applause - was a FIRST!!! I have NEVER been to a movie before that has done that. I am so happy for that girl and she deserves ALL the accolades and success that come with sharing this talent with us!!

Now, I have 2 complaints. The first being that in the quest to win the Best Song category at the Oscars they gave the song to Beyonce to sing. This song, in accordance with the rules, has to be an original, or newly-written song. Again, in an obvious snub to the real lead of the show, Miss Hudson, they gave it to Beyonce who, although, a wonderfully-talented singer came off singing it as too forced and over-acted as if competing with Hudson. The fact is: they are 2 entirely different singers, performers, and beauties. For Beyonce trying to belt out this song even on the best vocal day of her life she could only pale in comparison to Hudson - who naturally has a HUGE voice. But, of course, they went with the decision to showcase the more estetically-pleasing and name star Beyonce sing at the Oscars.

That leads me to my other complaint: as the Golden Globes nominations came out the studios made the decision to have Beyonce's role be considered as the "Best Actress" role and Jennifer Hudson's stellar role be only considered as "Supporting Actress". Okay...let's stop right there. This is exactly the kind of BS that I HATE about Hollywood and it's politics. There is absolutely NO way to deny that the leading role of both the movie and stageplay belongs to "Effie". This is so insulting to me, other people who have seen the movie and, ultimately, Miss Jennifer Hudson. Do the studios think that their audience is so naive??? Basically, they are doing EXACTLY what happened in the movie. The better talent, the better-written role, the more deserving performance is obviously Miss Hudson's. But just because Beyonce is already a 'name' star and the prettier, thinner one (and undoubtedly her people were behind it) they are touting her as the lead of the film and that relative unknown Hudson should just be happy that she got to do the movie.

Even more believable would have been to have both women vie for the title of "Best Actress" (Yeah, like they would ever risk star Beyonce losing to a newcomer). Well, I have NO doubt that Miss Hudson is counting her lucky stars that she was able to do the movie, but she was robbed!

No comments: