Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ziggy Imposter doesn't Bite the (Star)dust..


On Monday, my ex-punk (back in Northern Ireland when he was young and angrier) boyfriend called me to inform me we were going out and it was a suprise. Being a Monday night and all, the only thing I could be sure of was that alcohol would somehow be involved. He told me NOT to dress up and get to his place around 9:30pm. Luckily I wore my high-heeled stilleto boots because I needed to be tall in order to see when we ended up going to a concert at the rockin' Casbah!

Well, I was almost the most straight-laced person there (one blonde girl wearing slacks and blouse from the office beat me out) as I noted everyone was either punk or mod. Very hip! I do believe that I was probably also the only gal there without a tattoo...

Well, it turns out I was in for a treat. Evidently once a year in San Diego, some local musician impersonates David Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust phase. We are talking adrodgynous one-piece unitard, white platform boots, bad reddish spikey 80s wig and face paint.

Now. I have to admit that this guy sounded pretty damn good. I mean noone can expect him to be as sexy and self-assured as the the real demi-God Bowie. Shoot, they just don't make singers like that anymore. Back when musicians and their lyrics were "bigger than Life". Not like now with these over-produced, lip-syncing, one-hit performers whose main concern is shaking their a** for their video. (Alas, I digress...) Anyhow, this guy got some of the Bowie moves down pretty well. In fact, my only constructive criticsm was to lose about 10 pounds or wear a girdle under that spandex unitard. Gurl, that thing showed everything from panty lines to bulges!!!

The crowd loved it and it was hilarious and true entertainment when some people rushed onstage to join him in the encore song and bowing down to him playing up the magical fun of him being "Bowie". Also, another highlight was when 5 foot tall (well, he was pretty damn short) Freddy Mercury impersonater joined him for their duet. Radical!!!

All in all I can say the $10 bucks cover charge was well-spent for an 80s treat on a Monday night. Too bad they got off to a late start and we finally left at 12:30 during the transition to the "Cure" cover band - that's one of Patrick's favorite all time bands!

Click below to enjoy the real thing and one of my favorite Bowie songs!!

3 comments:

Patrick said...

If we were that close to the real DB I am sure we would have seen a bulge also ;)

Elsa Martinez said...

no he is still skinny as a rail. Or what kind of bulge are you referring to???

Patrick said...

What bulge are you talking about ;)