Wednesday, February 21, 2007

80s Song of the Week - Wham! "Wake me up Before you Go-Go"


This 1985 bubblegum pop ditty by British duo, "Wham!" is a TOTAL guilty pleasure of mine! Bouncy beats, perky melody, horn brass in the chorus, playful deep bass voice chanting, "Jitterbug", at regular intervals - sweet fun! As for the video - well, those are some pretty short, 2-toned, 80s shorts (I later heard George Michael comment that he and Andrew Ridgely, did indeed er, stuff them for the video). And the use of glow-in-dark lighting - so groovy! Looking back now at the wardrobe, song, video and the swinging and clapping dance choreography there is no doubt that George Michael came 'out' years later. That said, he is deliciously cute, became a master of pop songs and he DID write them as well (always a big plus in my book). Also, everyone who knows me knows that I love gay men - maybe way back in Jr. High school when this song came out I already knew I was destined to be a friend of the 'girls'... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Els, you need to see Music and Lyrics. It is getting mixed reviews but it has 80s. - D