Thursday, February 08, 2007

Simple Pleasures

I once wrote a blog (see previous) about simple pleasures. Nowadays one can get very caught up in the many gadgetry, technical toys to play with. Perhaps it's a good thing to be reminded that quality time with loved ones doesn't require anything more than simply getting outdoors.

A couple weekends ago I told Patrick and his daughter, Ciara, that I was taking them to one of my favorite places in the afternoon. Ciara was bouncing around pleading, like any 8-year-old would, for me to tell her where I was taking them. I ignored her and told her after we did some chores around the house we would go.

Eventually I corralled everyone into my Scion car and I drove us to La Jolla Cove. I have always loved this place. It's great. You can go down into the sandy cove to the beach if you like, or stay dry and have a picnic in the grassy park. Or perhaps you choose to climb around the big rocks on another part of the beach or simply stroll along the sidewalk along the top of the cliffs and enjoy the view of the waves and people from above. Ciara had a blast and of course opted to go running into the water. Then we searched the tidepools while Patrick took some great shots of the big waves crashing. It was such a lovely afternoon - reminded me of my childhood when Sundays after church were always Family Day and my mom would pack a picnic and we'd drive the 8 of us to the beach, park, mountains or somewhere in nature. We are so blessed to live in such a beautiful city with nice weather and I was so pleased to share it with my special ones.

At the end of the day I commented to P, "Wasn't that a lovely afternoon?" And he answered, "Yes... it was all about simple pleasures." Click to watch on slideshow :)

No comments: