Tuesday, August 28, 2007

80s Song of the Week: Huey Lewis and the News "If This is It"

ahhhhh: those San Fran working boys of Huey Lewis and the News. The girls in my family all loved Huey. How could you not? He was so ruggedly cute, with a raspy voice (unexpected for a white guy) and he always portrayed a great sense of humour in his videos. In fact: this was the first concert my mom (begrudgingly) let my sister Sara and I go to - with our older sisters who bought us tickets as a Xmas present. I was in 9th grade, we went to the horrible acoustics of the SD Sports Arena venue and screamed and danced and then I even wrote a review on it for the school newspaper that I was involved in.

Back to this song. The year was 1985, it was from their "Sports" album which had a string of Top 10 hits. I chose this video because it was sweet and showcases totally 80s bathing suits (girls wore those high French cut 1-pieces that looked horrible on anyone with a butt or hips); I also point out at the very beginning of the video the 80s boombox that they play - - kids nowadays probably won't even know what it is!!

The video is sweet but it always bugged me that Huey wanders around Venice Beach completely dressed in cords and polo shirt - the only one there amidst the tanned, half-naked bodies - he stands out so much and isn't he hot???!!! But then: I can't imagine him with his shirt off and in shorts anyway... :)

No comments: