Monday, August 20, 2007

80s Song of the Week: Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls"

I still like this 1985 song and its basically being completely programmed on a keyboard synthesizer is SO 80s :)
Pet Shop Boys are actually still around, still recording and still successful - in Europe. But their heyday in the USA was definitely during the 80s starting with this hit. Made up of the duo Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe they wrote danceable tunes with intelligent lyrics delivered solemnly by the stoic Tennant.

Interestingly enough, by watching their videos again I only recently came to realize that the lead singer is obviously gay - well, shoot - I wasn't a fag hag in 1985 in 7th grade (or WAS I- - but didn't know it yet?)hahahaha It seems he is publicly "out" since 1994. Also, Patrick recently informed me that their clever name leans to something very gay - again, I grew up so innocent and sheltered for so long (how on EARTH was I supposed to know?) :)

Whatever the case - good songs, great memories :)

No comments: