Monday, July 30, 2007

Elsa's Foray into Reality TV- Part 1: "PopStars"

Long, long ago, before there was American Idol, Country Idol, Dances with Stars, So u Think u can Dance and all those numerous song and dance reality shows - there was PopStars . We are talking circa 1999, if I remember correctly.

This show had auditions in LA and NYC for an all-girl group of 5 that would get a recording contract. I, being a singer/model/actress, of course went to the LA auditions. It was exciting. This was the first reality talent show of it's kind - there was no American Idol yet! I made it to the 2nd callbacks before being told I was too old and too tall (I think I was about 28 at the time). I was pretty bummed, but excited that when the TV show aired a couple months later, I got featured 3x on the first episode!! In other words: I may not have been what they were looking for - but my Basque nose and big Mexican hips were deemed camera worthy amongst thousands of auditioners. Gay snap to that!!!


Sure enough, though, I remember Nicole Herzinger (now Nicole Kea) was there and she was eventually selected to be in the group. Not unlike the Pussycat Dolls (which she now sings in): she was featured (not intentionally; she was, simply, the best of the 5) prominently as the lead singer in what was supposed to be an ensemble group. (Can we say Beyonce??) And yes, some of the girls in the group experienced green envy as no doubt the less-pretty, talent-less backup dancers (they don’t even sing really) Dolls feel now.


All I can say is GO, Nicole! Work it out! I gotta find that first episode tape with me on it and you know when I do, I'll put it on youtube and on here!

No comments: