Tuesday, January 09, 2007

All the Young Dudes Carry the News: Bowie turns 60

Yesterday was David Robert Jones AKA David Bowie's 60th birthday. Since a child I have always lived in a theatrical, dream-like, imaginative world in my head and that is why I appreciate his work so much. A true artist, he should not only be revered for his career longevity and uncomparable songwriting talents but because he is one of the last few who represented a time when true performers were bigger than life and concept albums were essentially a form of escapism from the real world.

I listened to a 2002 interview on National Public Radio yesterday where he commented that he just wanted to learn to play saxaphone as a kid and write theater musicals until 16. Undoubtedly it was that theatrical creativity and vision which led him to don the red wig and makeup in the 70s and create the "Ziggy Stardust" character, explore other adrodgynous fashions and then continue on to remake his sexier 80s image with his suits and shorter James Dean hair, and finally become the sophisticated and classy man that he is now.

Singer Suzanne Vega put it best, "He's not just a great rock and roller: he's a great Entertainer. And there's something almost like the old-school vaudeville about his character. And as he's gone on, he's gotten almost more 'human' onstage. Which is very powerful - perhaps even more powerful than when he was doing the more fantastic characters from the 70s".

This song, to me, epitomizes my utter contentment at being able to lose myself and go 'to another place' through his lyrics and piano. I have been that 'Girl with the Mousy hair', and Lord knows I have 'walked through my sunken Dreams'. I was going to put the original video, but found an excellent picture hommage of Bowie through the years that is perfect for this blog's subject. Enjoy and don't be afraid, my readers, to lose yourself in the dreamland he creates with his music...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can play it on piano then I would really be impressed

Elsa Martinez said...

I was just thinking today how I am going to get the piano music to it!!!